Congratulations! We Made It! – A Farewell Note From Your Editor

Stephanie Katherine Y., Editor

Dear Fellow Yawpers,

It is with a very heavy heart that I write this good-bye message.

When I was a sophomore, I so wanted to be a part of a school club. I was ecstatic when I learned that GWUOHS had a school newspaper, and even better, there were openings for writers! I quickly sent in my application to the Yawp Master (Mrs. Brownlow at the time) and eagerly waited a response. After an agonizing week, Mrs. Brownlow emailed and said I was accepted to the Yawp staff. I quickly got to work compiling my staff bio and choosing which photo to include on my staff profile.

I dove in head first, writing for the US News, and subsequently World News and Film Review columns. After a wonderful first year at the Yawp, Mrs. Brownlow mentioned that there was an opening for editor. I was interested immediately. After a long while of contemplation, I sent in my application, detailing my goals for the future of the paper and initiatives I would hope to roll out if I got the position of editor. The initiative I was most hopeful about was a monthly newsletter; a compilation of the month’s articles, allowing certain writers and pieces to be highlighted.

In the fall of 2016, I was selected as the Yawp’s newest editor. Since that day, I put the monthly newsletter initiative into motion and campaigned for more students to join the Yawp as writers. In the fall of 2017, Alie-Jean B. became my co-editor, and together we worked to continue the newsletter and encourage students to publish their best work every month.

After an incredible three years with the paper, I am afraid my time as Editor-In-Chief has come to a close. It is time that I close the chapter on my grade-school years and embark on my next journey in life. I have no doubt that the paper will continue to publish great work under the guise of my co-editor, Alie-Jean B. and Yawp Master Mrs. Prim. I urge you all to continue finding stories that inspire, but above all, are meaningful to humanity.

I will miss you all terribly.

Much Love,

Stephanie Katherine