2015’s Greatest Attack on Mankind – Paris Terror Attack

Stephanie Katherine Y., Global and National News

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

On Friday, November 13, 2015, the City of Lights was brought to its knees. Gunmen and suicide bombers hit a concert hall, a major stadium, restaurants and bars, almost simultaneously – and left 130 people dead and hundreds wounded. In the passing days after the attacks, President Francois Hollande labeled this tragedy as an “act of war” organized by the Islamic terrorist group ISIS.

The first attack:

At precisely 21:20 (20:20 GMT) an explosion was heard at an international football friendly between France and Germany played at the Stade de France. Moments later, two more explosions were heard. The first of the two explosions was caused by a man wearing a vest, with a suicide bomb strapped to the front. When security guards prevented him from entering the stadium, the man backed away and detonated the bomb. The bomber and a passer-by were killed. The second of the two explosions was caused by another suicide bomber at a different stadium entrance. It still remains unclear if the second bomber killed any civilians when the bomb detonated. The friendly, attended by President Francois Hollande, was being broadcast on international television. Interestingly enough, my brother was watching the match as these explosions happened. After the three explosions were heard at 21:30, the president was rushed to safety.

The second attack:

The next major attack occurred at a Cambodian restaurant, called Le Petit Cambodge at 21:25. Witnesses say that a man crossed the road, turned around and open fired into the large glass windows that frame the restaurant. Fifteen people died on contact in the attack, and 15 were left severely injured. More than 100 bullets were fired.

A few other restaurant and bars were attacked, whose names have not been released for security purposes.

The third attack:

The final attack on this fateful night was the bloodiest. Lasting from 21:40 – 00:20, three Islamic attackers, wearing suicide belts, stormed the main entrance of the Bataclan concert hall. The hall has a capacity of 1,500 people. It was a sold out show. The Californian rock band Eagles of Death Metal was playing. One of the attackers was said to have shouted “God is great” in Arabic. One witness heard a gunman blaming President Hollande for intervening in Syria. Later that night, France officially declared war on Syria. One woman says, “We thought it was fireworks but then there were men shooting in all directions. So we all lay on the floor and started crawling towards the stage.” Some escaped via an emergency exit to the left of the stage. Others managed to find a route onto the roof. President Hollande sent an order to send elite security forces into the concert hall. As the operation came to a head, at about 00:20, a police officer shot one of the gunmen, and his suicide belt detonated. The siege ended with the other two blowing themselves up. Eighty-nine people died as the men fired Kalashnikov-type assault rifles into the crowd. At least 99 others were taken to hospital in a critical condition.

My thoughts and prayers are still with the lost souls and victims of these attacks

Print Friendly, PDF & Email