Getting to Know Mrs. McDougald

Related Content

Last 5 stories in Feature

Other stories that might interest you...

Allison Thorson, Feature Writer for GWUOHS Staff
April 17, 2010
Filed under Feature

-Of our Six Community values, which one is most important to you and why?

I believe that integrity is the most important of the community values.  By definition, the word integrity means “the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.”  I think if a person has a high level of integrity, all the other community values naturally fall into place as morally correct. 

-What motto do you live by?

Hmmm…  There are many things that resonate with me to a point that I try very hard to remember them on a daily basis.  Right now, I guess I have a couple quotes that come to mind…

“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”

and “Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.”

-Where would you be on a day other than teaching the students of GW?

With my family…playing in the yard, riding 4 wheelers in the woods at our camp, taking photos/video of them enjoying various water sports…whatever they’re doing, I’m there.  J

What is your biggest fear?

Losing my family and falling down stairs.

What are three things you cannot live without?

My faith/salvation

My family

Chocolate

What is your greatest extravagance?

I’m a teacher, so the word “extravagance” doesn’t really fit into my life.  J  Probably having a great haircut & color, a mani & pedi, and a new outfit for a date with my hubby.  (Boring, right?)

Do you have any hobbies?

I love to read, craft, and sew.  I also enjoy gardening and riding four wheelers.  I don’t like water.  J

-What is your biggest pet peeve?

Laziness

-What is your favorite part about GWUOHS?

Getting to know my families and students…it is such a different experience to have students who live in various places all over the world and come from very different backgrounds.  I live in a super small Southern town, so I greatly enjoy the diversity of my students.

Who are your real-life heroes?

People who willingly, and often unknowingly, put themselves behind others’ needs.  There is no greater calling or gift than the ability to help meet the needs of another person…  In that regard, I suppose I have many real-life heroes…  My husband is a hero in my eyes…he is always willing to do whatever needs to be done for someone else, often at a sacrifice to himself personally, whether it be time, money, whatever.  My mother-in-law is a hero…she is a cardiac intensive care nurse with many years experience and training.  She’s saved many lives.  My daughter is a hero.  She has a level of caring, faith, and innocence that comes with her age, but definitely transcends age.  She’s going to be an amazing woman one day.  Reaching beyond my own family…I could list pages and pages of heroes. 

-What natural gift would you most like to possess?

I would greatly love musicality…I would love to be able to play the piano beautifully, as well as being able to sing in a way that others would like to listen.  (Jennifer Nettles of “Sugarland” has one of the most amazing voices…powerhouse!)

-Where is your favorite vacation spot and why?

There is a very, very, very tiny town in Arkansas that is home to one of the most beautiful lakes in the country.  We vacation there for at least a week every year with our entire family…on a “slim” year, there are about 30 of us…  We spend our time laughing, hanging out on the lake in our boats, enjoying different water sports, eating amazingly yummy food…it’s sooooo relaxing!  I look forward to it every year!

Comments

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!